Prime vs. TOR: Why I am leaning towards Prime

Want to know whats going on with us? Find out here.
Permafrost
GA Leader

Prime vs. TOR: Why I am leaning towards Prime

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:44 pm

Today, I stumbled upon the sad realization that I have absolutely zero desire to play Star Wars: The Old Republic. I grew up loving Star Wars just as much as everything else. But since I have played Asheron's Call 1 since '99, I have a learned a ton of what I like and dislike about MMORPGs. And here's how it breaks down for me:

Section 1: PvP

Ideal World: 100% Free for All with some sort of semi-harsh punishment system. An intricate CC system that includes multiple different immunities to manage ("Mez," stun, root, snare, blind, silence) and allows for smaller coordinated groups to defeat larger numbers.
What I will settle for: DEAR GOD A GAME WHO ACTUALLY PLANS TO HAVE THREE PvP FACTIONS! 1
What I am sick of: Arenas & BGs, although GW1 doesn't count because of the way its strategy completely changes the game, keeps it fresh, and makes it challenging.
What TOR promises: Do I even need to spell out the two sides?
What Prime promises: The chupacabra itself--3 sided pvp that will emphasize CC! Arenas give no loot, some titles, very little xp and are basically there to give you something to do if you suck in open world Pvp. 2
The Martin Luther King Jr. of Guild Wars.
"I've got no females in my family. But I got some cute uncles and shit." - Dave, 3/29/2011
"Mythian, let's make sex pottery together." - Garibold, 9/5/2014
Permafrost
GA Leader

Re: Prime vs. TOR: Why I am leaning towards Prime

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm

Section 2: PvE

Ideal World: Asheron's Call/DAoC model: Grind it out solo or in a group killing massive amounts of mobs. This keeps the excitement level up and requires people to work as a team and not suck (until a year into the game when uber gear and PL team secrets get out to everyone). But most of all, I want an end to the rote system of 10, 25, 40-man raiding. It's all the same; there's no fervid rush anymore, the experience is now as insipid as it gets, and I don't think the erudite minds of Bioware will invent a brand new boss mechanic which is so revolutionary I will come begging for more. 3, 4
What I will settle for: A game that is mostly grinding, but doesn't have a ton of "Travel here and give Grandma Mable her fucking pie" delivery quests.
What I am sick of: Kill ten rats. Go to the X on your map and kill the mage to loot his staff. Being solo and only being able to pull 2-3 mobs at a time. Raid for 10 hours a week, pray to god your piece drops or you collect enough "badges" for something good.
What TOR promises: Bioware. Cut scenes. Ugh. Purples! I am exaggerating, but considering the money they spent so far/info released/previous experience with the company, I expect it to be very solo-centric (story driven) to get to max and then similar to WoW raiding to attract those customers.
What Prime promises: Can't tell about leveling yet, but raiding for phat loots is G-O-N-E. Maybe some dungeons to fill out templates and bridge gaps, but that's it. 5
"I've got no females in my family. But I got some cute uncles and shit." - Dave, 3/29/2011
Permafrost
GA Leader

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:53 pm

1. WHY IS THAT SO HARD? EVEN FUN(FAIL?)COM HAS REALIZED THIS FOR THE SECRET WORLD!
2. http://forums.primeonline.com/index.php?/topic/271-combat-faq/
3. I came back to WoW for Cataclysm and absolutely loved it. 80-85 was a theme park experience, but it was the best theme park ever created. Hands down. But then: grind heroics.... raid when your item score is appropriate... didn't we just spend the last two? four? years doing that? I refuse to pay more money for another interminable experience. Perhaps I have not been as effectively inured by it as others have.
4. I can't tell you how much I miss the excitement of AC grinding, whether it be as low as the Citadel or as high as the Egg Orchard down in Rippers. DAoC is the same: Fins got old but damn if they weren't fun when your gear sucked and every pull counted.
Sanya, http://forums.primeonline.com/index.php ... ombat-faq/ wrote:Q: How does gear affect combat?

A: Player crafted gear is the good stuff. Someone wearing crafted gear will be better off than the stuff you buy from NPC vendors.

Before you ask: There are no armor drops off open world monsters. There are some NPCs that, when killed, will drop armor roughly equivalent to vendor gear. We are still discussing dungeon rewards and I make no promises as to what that stuff will be like. But we are quite certain that the stuff crafted by players, from the elements that other players died to obtain, will be the best the game has to offer.

And yes, those wearing it will have their stats improved, which will allow them to do more/take more damage. It will definitely widen that 75 point range I mentioned earlier.
Permafrost
GA Leader

Postby Permafrost » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I know this evaluation sounds awfully mordant (and is as equally circumlocuted), but realize what we have gone through the latter half of this decade. Nearly every game has either had an awful release, was terribly disappointing, or is WoW. And I don't mean to continue to disparage WoW. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even this past expansion. But I'm over it. I want something fresh, but based on the harsher lineage of foundation titles of the industry. I guess this would be the third major U.S. release that I skipped in a row (Aion and Rift being the first two--neither of which I regret an iota), and I hate to realize how far it's all fallen. Or how old I am.
Lemie
GA Member

Postby Lemie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Prime for sure. SWTOR is going to be too PvE oriented.

Return to “Ganked Again News”